Resting in Christ

Yesterday we heard a very encouraging sermon on Matthew 11 verses 28 -30:

"Come to Me all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and
you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is
light."

The man preaching yesterday had several good points, but one has been stuck in my mind. In the past I often pictured a ox being yoked up to plow the field and I never could figure out how this scripture illustrates the point that Jesus' yoke is light. But yesterday I realized my error. You don't yoke up one ox, but two. In this case, we as Christians, are yoked up with Jesus and He makes our burden light. He leads us and guides us and all we have to do is follow close to him. He takes the brunt of our burdens, He makes our yoke light. This is wonderful news to the Christian, but not to those who aren't because there is a catch: we are all yoked to something. For Christians, it is to Christ our Savior. For those who do not believe it is to devil or the world. As Christians our yoke is easy, but to those who don't believe life is hard and with no hope. But in these verses there is hope for He tells all who are weary and heavy-laden to come to Him! What a wonderful Gospel this is that we get to share!

0 comments:



Post a Comment