Beauty

A few weekends ago our pastor preached on 1 Timothy 9-15 which reads:

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. For it was Adam who was first created, and then Eve. And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman being deceived, fell into transgression. But women will be preserved through the bearing of children if they continue in faith and love and sanctity with self-restraint.
He had some very good insights on things like Biblical submission and how this passage actually elevates women to a higher standard than what was normal at the time, but I'm not going to go into that. Perhaps one day, but not today. The thing that has been captivating my attention lately is the first part of the passage:
Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness.
That particular passage has been sticking with me, especially as I have seen lived out examples lately and God pointing them out to me as examples to follow. One woman I think of in particular, drew that out all the more. Because, the passage isn't about not wearing nice things, but instead dressing in a way that draws people to Christ. If the way you are dressing shows off you, instead of Christ, you aren't dressing in a godly way. I, by no means, am an expert on this, but this one lady just keeps coming fresh to my mind. And the biggest reason that she is exemplifying this for me is that the clothes that she wears draws your attention to her face, where the beauty of Christ shines through. Though she could easily dress in clothing that would show off her body, she chooses not to, and instead glorifies God by showing others Him.

0 comments:



Post a Comment